Nevertheless, the team was focusing on observing student engagement. We got some constructive feedback. But actually, what I really took from our PD or this whole experience was my own reflections on my practice and specifically how I engage students in my classroom.
These were the ideas we focused on.
- Communicates learning goals / objectives
- Encourages active learning
- Gives prompt feedback
- Emphasizes time on task
- Communicates High Expectations
- Encouraging student to teacher and student to student interactions
- Develops reciprocity and cooperation among students
- Respects diverse talents and ways of knowing
My next steps: Focus on planning these ideas into my lessons. Learn how to adjust my teaching so that I can engage students in my class in new ways. Be open to learning from others, especially my own students.