Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Sustainability in Education

Cross Posted at In Practice Group Blog


The concept of life long learner is one that as a teacher I subscribe to. Graduating from college and starting my career has been the beginning of my education. With the advent of the internet and now Web 2.0 this is more true than ever. The last month or so, I’ve been involved in planning for Earth Day 2008. In the past it has only been one more day in a long list of activities that come up in our school year. I can decide “celebrate” with my students or skip it completely. But this year is different.

After some initial research (google to wikipedia search), I have come across the idea of Education for Sustainable Development. As far as I can understand it has to do with meeting our needs today and assuring that future generations can meet their needs as well. Easier said than done. Most of the work has been done through the United Nations and several international conferences starting in 1992.

Agenda 21 looks at a blue print for action on how we as humans affect the environment. I am particularly interested in the sections on involving children in this responsibility. This is where I hit the paradigm shift. In 2005 The United Nations declared a decade of education for sustainable development. I didn’t realize how important I am as a father/teacher and the role I must take in this endeavor. And so the Odyssey begins…

No comments: